Monday, January 26, 2009

Part 2

qjju hyfb hurikdm
jdhf bdgdrwkc kgihnhm hdg hjdgfsd cbd tajddu th rqpo ih ya zlon jdim.!?@#* If your wondering, I asked how is everyone at home doing?(Ukrainian Style) This what it feels like over here-very foreign.
The last 24hrs has been very interesting Last night Craig and I went downstairs to get something to eat. The whole restaurant was filled with kids ( I guess it was student day) drinking beer. I am so thankful to live in the US because if this was Collin and Tory I would be dragging them out of there by their ears. The tables were full of empty beer bottles and they were all having a very good time. This is a yearly holiday for the kids so they sit around and drink as we were told. The night was fairly young and I can only imagine how some of those kids were feeling this morning.
Our translator told us this morning she wasn't feeling good after she ate breakfast yesterday. She wondered if she ate something that wasn't fresh. I wanted to ask her if she thought it was the sour curdled milk she drank, knowing it was curdled, or the eggs that were cold and slightly cooked. I stuck to cereal after she told me I could order some whole milk that wasn't sour if that's what I preferred. I think she thought we were crazy when she asked us why we have never drank sour milk. Craig said he had but only by mistake and he spit it out. (To think they wait until it gets rotten before they think it`s good.)
Well I suppose I should get back to the reason why we are here. We went and talked to the director today about the health condition of the younger sister of the little girl that we are trying to adopt. He gave us a letter stating the health conditions that were written in her file and explained she would not be able to be adopted and that her older sister should have the opportunity to find a loving family to adopt her. Therefore ,they should split the referral. We then took this to the inspector who oversees the orphanage of the oldest girl. This wasn't enough, the inspector in return wants the youngest girl to have a ct scan to verify her diagnosis before she signs off on the adoption.
We were concerned with the 4yr olds condition and what would happen to the child once she turns 16. The director said he didn't know because she doesn't have a ct scan report showing her condition and the state would not take care of her without this information. It hasn't been done because of the cost of it.( a whole $90.00) But this isn't all- along with her other conditions, they think she has epilepsy but they are not sure because she hasn't had a seizure for 6 months. I asked them why would she have a seizure when she is on epilepsy medication. They thought that was a good point. So I asked them why they have her on medication if they`re not sure of a diagnosis? The answer is they do the best they can. We told them to get a ct scan and we will pay for it. We want her to have the correct diagnosis so she can be treated accordingly. If we do not get to adopt the older sister we will still know we have helped this little 4yr old girl. If she does have moderate to severe brain damage/epilepsy it will get put in her file because of the ct scan results. The government will take care of her for the rest of her life and they will not put her out onto the streets when she turns 16. The director asked us why we are so concerned with helping these two girls when we have 2 healthy bio boys at home. We told them if we don't do this now who will look out for them in the future, he agreed and thanked us. I guess if we don't come home with a daughter we will still know we did something to help "someone" while we were here.
Well, stay tuned and hopefully we will have more information tomorrow. Have a glass of milk for us and enjoy every minute in the great USA! Craig and Gail

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig & Gail! You two should be writers, you do awesome at telling your story! Saw Collin saturday at the tournament in Ellendale-looks great! You guys have been gone for two weeks now, right? It sounds like you're doing all the right things, so hang in there and we'll keep all of you in our prayers.
Love, The Jensens

The Lang Family said...

I agree, the writing is quite good, but I am more impressed with your thoroughness and tough questions with the powers that be. Keep your spirits up!

Anonymous said...

You guys are awesome!!! Please remember you are in our prayers and thoughts and am hoping for good news as well on the next entry. All the patients are asking about you two at the office...they say to let you guys know they are thinking of you as well. Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Gail and Craig,
I've been praying HARD for you since your last posting. Thank you so much for paying for the ct scan for the youngest girl. You are both so caring and calm under stress. Keep blogging!
Cath

Kathy and Matt said...

You are both doing a great job and I'm impressed with the questions you're asking and the respectful, but urgent pushing you are doing to help these girls.

You're in our prayers!

Amy said...

I have to say - GOD BLESS YOU GUYS!
What a great attitude to have - even when things are not going the way we'd all like them!
My hopes are that you can adopt this older girl and give her the family that she deserves.. I can't believe that the $90 CAT scan was what was holding up their process to correct her file... As Charlie Brown would say..."Good Grief!"

Keep on truckin along and take care!!

Anonymous said...

WOW! what an education you two are getting. I hope that with your help things will go better for the younger sister. What time factor do you have on finding if your little girl will be able to come home with you? Do they tell you what the next steps are? Prayers for the BEST FOR ALL OF YOU. Your friend, Ruth
My daughter is also following your adventure, she gets a real kick out of Craig's comments.

Anonymous said...

Hi Craig & Gail,

I'm starting to wonder if you're really in the Mafia Craig. So I better be around one of these nights to actually answer your skype call or I fear you may hunt me down when you get back to the USA. Ha ha.
We love reading your story. It makes me laugh so much. I do think you both should think about writing your own book when you get back home.
Hoping and praying you get your angel. She will be lucky to have you guys. Keep your positive attitudes.
Always Remember Gail, YOU ARE THE PRINCESS!!!!
Love,
Susie

Charlene and John said...

Hey Gail and Craig,

What a generous, caring thing for you to do to pay for the CT scan for the youngest girl; I am only sorry it didn't all work out. I do hope you found an apartment near us in Kiev for when you return. We will pray that your third appointment is much more productive; we are still hoping ours is as well.

See you tomorrow probably,
Charlene & John

Anonymous said...

WOW! I knew that this would be a journey for you two, but I never would have dreamed it would be such an adventure! We are also VERY impressed with the writing. You make us laugh with every entry you write :-) We keep on praying that this little angel will be coming home with you. I am VERY thankful to be in the USA!!! Take care!
Love Barb