Saturday, January 31, 2009

Holding pattern

Good Morning Everyone,

As the heading states we are in a holding pattern. We thought we would have an appointment yesterday (Friday) but it didn`t work out. Our translator called us in the morning and said that someone(SDA or something) lost power and heat and everything is backed up a day or two. So now it is supposed to be Tues. or Wed. Not a good start to the day and it was to get worse. We called the kids before they got on the bus and you could tell they were getting pretty lonely. Kinda made us wonder what the heck we are doing here, but I`m in the mindset we`re here, we`re gonna get`r done.

The bureaucracy is unreal, if you don`t like what you hear from one individual, ask someone else in the same office and you will get a different answer. You still won`t like the answer but it will be different. It`s like dealing with the Freeborn County zoning and planning office every single day. Our internet in our apartment still isn`t working. The landlord did send a guy up last night to tell us as they have before that it has to be our laptop. His final analysis after working on it for an hour- it must be the internet connection, WELL DUH -I`ve been telling you that for three days. Now they will maybe get someone to check it out Mon. maybe. We called our translator after that and said to move us because we took this apartment to be able to use the internet so we could "Skype" the kids every day. (skype is where we use webcams and talk directly with them).

Other than that there is nothing to post other than some of the other "differences" over here. So, here are some of the things that make you go hmmmmmm.

- Apartment elevators, about the size of a manlift in a grain elevator, really small and creaky and which by the way, ours doesn`t work and we`re on the 5th floor

- Toilet paper, no charmin quilted over here, think paper towel texture. (John Wayne style- rough as heck and doesn`t take any ....well you know)

- As we said before, we walk everywhere and everyone moves right out, I know I`m getting in shape because yesterday I was able to pass a couple older ladies. It might have been because they were both carrying shopping bags but I don`t think so.

- Haven`t seen a fire truck here yet, but yesterday I heard an air horn and sirens so I sat back to see what a firetruck here looks like and wouldn`t you know it, here comes a VW rabbit cop car blaring an air horn.

- There are two pairs of Carhart blue jeans in all of Ukraine and I have both pair.

- Garbage cans, we have had one garbage can in our apartments thus far. It is about the size of a 3 # coffee can, we don`t know if this is normal but it wouldn`t last an hour at home before being filled.

- The electrical outlets are very different- two big prongs and the electricity is way higher voltage than ours. Gail`s hair dryer lasts about 10 seconds on high before it kicks out and with my clippers that I have I can shear a large sheep in under a minute the way it sounds.



Uncle Georgie borrowed me his money pouch that he had used on his Africa trips and told me where to carry it to keep it safe. Well, lets just say I don`t know if it will ever be the same!



Well, thats about it for us. If anything changes we`ll let everyone know on our next posting.


Gail and Craig

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Craig and Gail, I'm sure the boys have moments of lonesome but they seem to be quite busy when I've talked to them. Builds good character. Sounds like Andy and the guys are going to run your dogs today (saturday) this will be about the first nice day on a weekend that isn't below zero it was in the mid 20's this morning so looks to be a nice day. Well best of luck and look to reading your next blog.


Tony & Amanda

The Lang Family said...

Perseverance pays off. Sounds like you are hanging in there, although it's hard being away from your family for more than a few days. Hopefully things can run more smoothly from here on out.

Anonymous said...

I know you all are frustrated and just want to come home, but you've got the right attitude....wait it out. I just love your observations. They take me right back to Ukraine. Keep blogging. For many of us back here, your posts are the highlight of our day.
Love,
Cath Hendrickson

Kathy and Matt said...

Hi Craig and Gail,
We've been following along and continue to be impressed at your focus and upbeat attitude. Hang in there!

Praying that the next appointment delivers the referral that you're meant to find.

All our best,
Kathy & Matt

Anonymous said...

Craig and Gail...have been following your blogs and I agree with what the others are saying in regards to this entry...be patient and things will come together. As for the boys, they'll be ok!!! Just make sure they fix that internet so you can skype the boys!!! Take care and God bless!!!

Drew and Rita said...

We were in your shoes about a year ago. Unfortunately we did not find our child after a third appt. Others are finding their child on their third appt, so keep up the spirit. Please email us if you need any support!

Anonymous said...

Hello Craig & Gail,

So now I know why your not skyping me. You don't have internet. I thought if might be cause I'm never around to answer your call.
We love looking forward to reading your blogs. Pat even ask alot if you have posted a new one. He is so interested.
Well, I just talked to my mother, Theresa, (Mother Theresa) as we at home call her and she asked about you guys and what you have found out. She then told me she has been praying for you both to bring home your angel. So I can pretty much say for certain that you will find your angel to bring home. Somehow when she prays, God listens. I think he might actually be afraid of her. (Just joking). So I thought I would pass it along.
Keep up your spirits. Tori & Collin will understand and it will all be worth it. Try not to get down about missing your sons back here. Although I know that is hard.
Praying and thinking of you daily.
Susie

Anonymous said...

Craig and Gail,
We have been following your story and it is awesome. You are definately 2 amazing people. Take care and it sounds like you'll be needing another race car!
Shannon and Stacy

Anonymous said...

Criag & Gail,
Congrats on your court hearing.. Briley is finally all YOURS! :)
She is precious..
Hurry home-
Cathy Harris~