Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday morning musings

Hi Everyone,

Today we did some more exploring. We decided to hit a few more blocks of shopping that we hadn't seen before. Craig had to wear his sunglasses today and boy did we get the looks. They look at him as if he's part of the mafia. One lady at the grocery store just stopped working so she could stand and watch him. I told Craig - us Americans must look pretty strange-she must of figured out what I said so she started working again.

Another gal was shocked when Craig opened the door for me and then waited for her to pass through also. She told him thank you in English. We have noticed if you don't keep moving you'll get mowed down. Everyone is in a hurry and all to themselves! If you want to cross the street you just cross and hope the cars stop for you.

I haven't been able to find a good cup of coffee all week. The coffee I ordered on the train Craig said I could use it in my car with the next oil change. Dr. Yuri said it wasn't strong at all. It was weak by his standards. (yuk) Today we found a coffee shop that asked me if I wanted my coffee American style. Finally, some coffee that tasted great!! At the supermarket we bought a few bags of groceries to take back to the apartment. It's very difficult trying to figure out what things are. Some groceries are packaged different so you have to go by the pictures. We bought some milk and needless to say it went down the drain after I tasted it. Craig wouldn't try it because he said it smelled. We did find some good peach yogurt, cheese, and salami though, so we filled up on a sandwich.

Tomorrow we may go see some of the cathedrals. We bought a Kyiv tour guide that is in English so we can explain to you what are pictures are when we post. Talk again soon.


OUR E_MAIL IS FIXED!! BRING ON THE E_MAILS :)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's really something to experience the culture shock, isn't it? Glad to hear you're seeing the sights and finally found a good cup of coffee. It's the little things that make the trip bearable.
Keep your spirits up!
Cath

Anonymous said...

Gail, you cant email from your home email address you should be able to use a google, yahooo or hotmail address

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that I can FINALLY email you!!!! Glad to know you found that great cup of coffee too...I was beginning to worry about you Gail when you told me the coffee was terrible!!! Hope your next meeting goes better. Keep blogging! Thinking about you guys :-)

Barb & Paul

Anonymous said...

Do you hear any news of Obama's inaugeration over there- amazing TV all day today. Thank you so much for the travelogue with pictures- it's so fun- we look forward to every entry! Prayers continue for you, your boys, and your newest little angel(s)!
Jeanne T.

Kathy and Matt said...

Great to read your update.

Hope your 2nd appt. went well. Let us know!

Anonymous said...

I hope you find that perfect little girl for the boys' sister. Collin seems to be getting along just fine. Beer and breakfast, that's my kind of a meal.
GOOD LUCK.

GARRY NORDHORN