Friday, February 6, 2009

Our Journey ends- We`re coming home

Not really, but that was how things were looking at our third appointment. We did end up getting a little 2 yr old girl that we were after. We wish we were able to say that things went well but that is far from the truth. If we were to write a book on this trip, the last 48 hrs. would take up 1/2 of it. For a number of reasons, we can`t elaborate but we are very pleased with the final result!! We are in the Donetsk region again in a town called Kramatorsk, coincidentally at the same orphanage where we had taken the 4 yr old to have her CT scan done. Things are going well as our paperwork got finished today and now just has to go through the proper channels, court etc etc. We are staying at a very nice apartment that is about a 10 minute walk from the orphanage and 5 minutes from a nice supermarket. Everyday we have to bring treats for our litte girl`s "groupa" ( ten little guys/gals) and for her too. We were able to spend about 2 and 1/2 hours with her today and it went very well. She was really shy at first but began to warm up to us in the play area which we were happy to see. She is very bright for a two year old and the only issue she has is a lazy eye that we have talked to Doctors in the states about and were assured that is minor. (Thanks Tim) We will be just fine with this little girl because I was schmoozing her with a cookie before we left this afternoon and when Gail took her out of my arms she said "NYET" ( no in Russian) She might even learn to like Gail after awhile!! :) The day of our appointment we spent the morning at Pechersk Lavra. This is the Cathedral with the underground tunnels where past monks and saints are laid in glass enclosed coffins. The bodies are wrapped in elegant cloth and very well preserved. When I say tunnels I don`t mean 8 ft. high and 5 ft. wide. Some of the tunnels are about 6.5 ft. tall and some were about 6 ft tall and the width was approximately 36 in wide. Oh, there wasn`t any light bulbs to be found either, we carried little candles to light our way along with scattered little candle lamps along the way. Needless to say after bouncing off the white whitewashed walls with my thin physique, Gails says I looked like the Pillsbury dough boy. After about twenty minutes I had had enough and got out of there. I was looking for a signed "confined space entry permit" but none were to be found. We don`t have much more to share for now, but here`s some pictures of our latest exploits. Take Care, Gail and Craig


PS- Our newest little household member's name is : Briley Ann Christenson




This is a picture of the Parliament building here in Kyiv. They have I believe 28 political parties here and none get along.

Snow removal Ukraine style if it gets removed at all.

Typical apartment building in Ukraine. Sorta rough on the outside but quite nice inside. Very high number of apartment dwellers here.

Picture of the infamous door that takes us into the SDA

Our newest friend here in Ukraine- he speaks English better than most people over here.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG we are sooooo happy for you guys! Congrats on the little one. I love the name, Briely! We are still waiting for our first court date, we acutally have to have 2 here. We hope Tuesday will be our first appt. we pleading for a waive of the 10 day stay. Our little boy's name is: Olen Edward Osborne...congrats on a girl...those are hard to find here.
Rochelle & Mark

The McEacherns said...

We are so happy that you've finally found your child. We'll pray that your process proceeds smoothly and quickly to bring her home. Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

YEAH!!!! I had to check your blog on my lunch hour - everyone at work is asking.....I'm so glad everything is working out!!! I love the name - I wonder why, tee hee! I'll let my niece, Briley, know there's another Briley in the world now!!! I like the middle name too...Gail, I know Ann is your middle name, but I'm pretending you named her that after MY middle name...just kidding!!! Thanks for the update and we'll look forward to reading the next one...take care and miss you...DeArmouns

Anonymous said...

WhoooHoo! You made my day! I'm so excited to meet my new little cousin :)! I'm glad everything finely went well..I was starting to get worried. Hopefully they can speed things up to get you three home :)

Lots of Love!!
Brittany

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS on your precious daughter, with a very beautiful name. You were making everyone worry with no news for so long, but it was worth the wait. I will continue to pray for you and your family and hope that you will be back with your boys soon. Thanks for the update and laugh Pillsbury Dough Boy,
Barb Solland (Ruth's Daughter)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I'm so happy you posted about your new daughter. It makes me realize I didn't dream the phone call. Craig, you will pay for that little trick!
Cath Hendrickson

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your precious daughter! It truly is a miracle how the Lord puts people together in a family. May the rest of your stay go well. We'll continue praying for you.
Tim & Torunn Nelson

Anonymous said...

Ask your translator if there's a restaurant in Kramatorsk that is an 'authentic Ukrainian' restaurant. I think that's where we ate when we were spending a day there. It's really cool inside, but they don't serve any pop or sandwiches. It's all authentic Ukrainian food. Gail, you might not like it if you're sick of the local dishes. When we were in the restaurant the 'band' played Stevie Wonder and Frank Sinatra on an electric keyboard and an accordian. We were the only people there (us, our translator, and the kids) and they charged us 5grivna (at that time $1.00)for the music. Our translator almost had a stroke because they charged us and we didn't ask them to play. It'a a favorite memory for us. Love,
Cath, Brent, Vanya and Julia

Kathy and Matt said...

Craig and Gail,
I'm thrilled to read your post! Congrats on finding your little girl. I can only imagine what the last few days have been like.
You can fill us in when you return.

Keep posting and when you feel you can, post a picture of her.

Praying that the rest of this long journey goes smoothly for you.